Wednesday, December 9, 2009

From My Kitchen To Yours

It’s that time of year again.  Gardens in the northeast are nestled under a blanket of snow.  Our outdoor installations are on hold until April.  At my house, other than shoveling, trekking out to feed the birds or clean and refresh the birdbath, there’s nothing outdoors for me to do.   That means I can turn my attention to something else I love, cooking for family and friends.  And, I can share some of the recipes with you.

I collect pretty glass jars during the year to fill with this yummy caramel sauce. With a kick from whiskey or bourbon, it’s so much better than anything you can buy.  It’s delicious over ice cream, cake or fruit any time or year but particularly during the holiday season.  



Salted Caramel Whiskey Sauce

Scant 5 ¼ cups sugar
2 cups water
4 ½ cups heavy cream
1/3 to ½ cup whiskey or bourbon*
2 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract
Kosher salt to taste

In a light colored, heavy saucepan combine the sugar and water.  Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.  Raise the heat to high, do not stir but let the mixture bubble until it becomes a deep amber. Do not let it burn.  Swirl the pan if the mixture starts to darken unevenly.

Remove the pan from the heat, stand back and slowly pour in about ½ cup of cream. It will bubble furiously.  When the bubbling subsides, stir.  Continue to stir and add the rest of the cream in a slow stream.  Mix in the whiskey or bourbon, vanilla and salt to taste.

If mixture hardens, stir and reheat gently until smooth.

Serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes approximately 8 cups


*I use Jack Daniels whiskey or Early Times bourbon

No comments:

Post a Comment